If the way to your heart is through your stomach, then San Simeon’s culinary scene will definitely woo you. Here are the must-try dishes at the area’s restaurants, many of which boast jaw-dropping ocean views:
- Located at the Cavalier Oceanfront Resort, the Cavalier Restaurant is a local favorite for a night out on the town. The Order: Go right for the specials. We recommend the Pacific Snapper or Country Fried Chicken.
Ragged Point Restaurant
- Another local date night go-to is Ragged Point Restaurant at the Ragged Point Inn. Perched on a cliff overlooking the Pacific, the views alone will make your heart stop. Get it pumping again with an expertly prepared fresh catch of the day, or try the pork tenderloin sourced straight from the Inn’s very own farm. If looking for less formal fare, don’t miss the Inn’s Sandwich Stand, which boasts the best cheeseburger and shake in the Central Coast.
- For authentic Mexican, tuck-in on El Chorlito’s ocean-view patio, and explore the house specialties such as homemade vegetarian salsa and lamb shanks in a mild tomatillo sauce. Be sure to wash it all down with the locals’ favorite, the “Margaritas De Vino,” made with Los Cabos Agave Especial Wine.
- Fortify yourself for a day of hiking or surfing with the heartiest breakfast in town at the Sunset Grill. The menu is massive, but the breakfast buffet is where you’ll spot the local surfers sampling the scratch-made pancakes and waffles, Eggs Benedict and biscuits and gravy.
Sea Chest Oyster Bar and Seafood Restaurant
- Located a stone’s throw from San Simeon is Cambria, another charming seaside town. Cambria’s best-kept seafood secret is the quirky Sea Chest Oyster Bar and Seafood Restaurant. Ordering the catch of the day here is a no-brainer, but be sure to accompany it with the Devils on Horseback Oysters sauteed in wine and garlic, topped with bacon and served on toast. Don’t forget the garlic bread – it’s made from San Luis Obispo Bakery-made sourdough.
- For the wine lovers, the lunch at Sebastian’s Café at Hearst Ranch Winery will surely satisfy your palate. Drink in the ocean views on the deck as you pair the wide range of local vino with hearty Heart Ranch tri-tip sandwich, burger, and fish tacos.
Brown Butter Cookie Factory
- If you love cookies – who doesn’t? – no drive along Highway 1 would be complete without a stop at Brown Butter Cookie Company in nearby Cayucos. Purists will love the Original flavor, with lots of brown butter and a touch of sea salt — yum! But we invite you to get a little adventurous and try unique flavors like their seasonal, limited edition cookies, from Citrus and Coconut Lime to Bourbon and Spice. Of course, the Double Chocolate is always a solid choice.