Sebastian’s General Store has carried on through the generations. Built in 1852 at the peak of the whaling industry, the Sebastian Brothers provided goods and services to whalers, fishermen, miners and neighboring ranches. San Simeon Bay was the significant shipping point for barrels of whale oil, cheese, butter and other commodities on the Central Coast. Old San Simeon Village was flourishing with two hotels, saloons, a blacksmith, a livery stable, a butcher, schools, a depot for a stage travel to Cambria and a telegraph line to San Luis Obispo. In 1878, the Bay View Hotel was built; a first-class hotel with famous guests Thomas A. Edison, Winston Churchill and Calvin Coolidge, to name a few. By 1910, most of the village faded away, but Sebastian’s General Store survived. Sebastian’s was the first post office in San Simeon until 1905 when it was moved to the pier. It was moved back in 1945.
Today Sebastian’s General Store is home to Hearst Ranch Winery, Sebastian’s Café, and the historic post office.
Drop off your postcards and join the locals for a wine tasting and lunch on the outdoor patio. Renowned Chef Ian McPhee uses prized Hearst Ranch grass-fed Beef to create some of the best burgers on the Central Coast. Locally sourced goods – such as Hearst Ranch Grass-fed Beef, Hearst Ranch Wines, and Hearst Ranch Olive Oils – are available for purchase at Sebastian’s General Store.
- Kid Friendly
- Serves Lunch
- Take out and/or delivery