You don’t have to worry about leaving your furry friend at home again with a trip to the coastal town of San Simeon. With eight different pet-friendly accommodations in the area, you can rest assured that you and your pooch will be well taken care of. Explore the coast with multiple trails and beach options for you and your four-legged best friend. Let your pup dip their paws in the water at San Simeon Cove, gather around the barbecue at W.R. Hearst Memorial State Beach.
San Simeon offers three beaches that are pet-friendly. Your pet should remain on-leash unless signage notes otherwise.
William R. Hearst Memorial Beach
- Located across from Hearst Castle, this day use area offers 24 picnic sites, on-site parking, restrooms, water, grills and easy beach access. Gather around the grill for a beach-side picnic and enjoy a day of swimming, fishing, boating or sunbathing. Dogs are allowed, but must be on a leash.
San Simeon Cove, Point and Pier
- Located next to William R. Hearst Memorial Beach, San Simeon Cove is a dog’s heaven with emerald water and ample space to run.
Hearst San Simeon State Beach
- Located across Highway 1 from the Washburn Day Use area sign, Hearst San Simeon State Beach is a pet-friendly destination. Surf fishing is popular here, as well as bird watching and relaxing walks. Please keep your pet on a leash.
San Simeon offers several hikes for the active pet owner.
San Simeon Point Trail
- Make your day at the beach into an adventure with this perfect hike along the bluff. This hike is family-friendly and dog friendly, though dogs must be on a leash.
Junge Ranch Trail
- Spend the day exploring the coastline with a hike leads you to tide pools. This is a family-friendly and dog friendly hike, suitable for all skill levels, though dogs must be on a leash
San Corpoforo Creek
- This short hike will lead you to the beach where you can relax and enjoy the sun. It is family-friendly and dog friendly. Dogs must be on a leash.
Mill Creek Trail
- This three-mile hike leads you up the hillside into a deeply forested area where the Mill Creek runs through. This hike has uneven surfaces, so it may not be suitable for everyone. The trial is dog friendly, though dogs must be on a leash.
Salmon Creek Falls
- This short but rewarding hike takes you up a hillside and into a wooded, rocky area with a 120-foot waterfall and large pool at the base. Dogs must be on a leash.
Soda Springs Trail
- Follow the coastal hillside for an extension of the Salmon Creek Falls Trail. This trail is more challenging and for experienced hikers. It is dog friendly, but dogs must be on a leash.
Pacific Valley Bluff
- Follow the coastline and discover coastal succulents and wildflowers. This hike is family-friendly and dog friendly. dogs must be on a leash.
San Simeon Restaurants and Wineries
- With ocean view patio seating, you and your dog will enjoy the beautiful views and the mouthwatering lamb shanks.
- Overlooking a breathtaking bay beside Highway 1 and across from the iconic Hearst Castle, the San Simeon tasting room is a must-visit destination.
- Enjoy their well-known seafood and steaks, while enjoying an ocean views from any table.
- Whether you are watching sunset from their floor to ceiling windows, or kicking back on their heated outdoor patio, Ragged Point Restaurant is sure to take your breath away.
San Simeon Hotels’ Pet Policies and Fees
Below are different types of accommodation preferences that are pet-friendly. We note any additional fees when you have Fido along for the trip.
- Nestled on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, you and your pup can plan a gorgeous morning or sunset walk along the beach. This hotel does not charge an additional fee for pets.
- If the indoor heated pool and spa and outdoor tennis court wasn’t enough…they also let you cuddle to sleep with your dog. Bring any 2 pets for an additional $20 per night, will be placed in a Smoking 2 Queen room.
- Affordable lodging just six miles from Heart Castle, this location is ideal for you and your dog to explore all that San Simeon has to offer. Stay at Motel 6 for no additional charge with a maximum of two pets.
- Situated along Highway 1, this resort is in an ideal location for you and your dog to go on many San Simeon adventures. Stay at Ragged Point Inn with your furry best friend for an additional $50 per night; for more than one pup it is an additional $25 per night.
- Only one block from San Simeon Beach where you and your dog can catch some waves or go on a beach stroll. Stay at San Simeon Lodge for an additional $15 per night with a maximum of two pets.
- Three miles away from Hearst Castle and a complimentary breakfast provided by the Cavalier Restaurant. This is an affordable option located on the beach. Stay at Sands by the Sea for no additional charge with a maximum of two pets.
- Enjoy private beach access just steps away from San Simeon beach, where your dog is welcome to run and play in the surf for miles. Stay at Seaside Escape for an additional $10 per night with a refundable $500 pet deposit.
- Located on three garden acres, enough room for your furry friend to play fetch. Stay at the Silver Surf Motel for an additional $15 per night.
- Relax by the pool and indulge in an onsite massage, all accompanied with man’s best friend. Stay at The Morgan for an additional $25 per night.
- Dog Friendly
- Free Things To Do
- Hikes, Guided Walks & Boardwalks
- History & Culture
- Kid Friendly
- Must-See Spot
- Outdoor Activities & State Parks